Prairie Organics: Think Whole Farm Conference and Trade Show
February 23, 2018 @ 8:30 am - February 24, 2018 @ 4:30 pm$131.25
Prairie Organics : Think Whole Farm Conference and Trade Show
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada, February 23-24, 2018
The second Prairie Organics Conference and Trade Show will reprise its successful 2016 format of pairing leading edge science with the best organic farmers in Canada. With 26,000 square feet of exhibit space, the free trade show features its own Ag Innovation Stage, the largest organic tradeshow in western Canada and free customized meetings for buyers and growers of organic grain. Below are some of the highlights from the conference stream.
Gillian Flies and Brent Preston Building a Profitable Organic Vegetable Enterprise
Brent and Gillian share valuable lessons learned the hard way over a decade spent building their Ontario organic market garden into a profitable and environmentally viable farm enterprise. These lessons are detailed in Brent’s new book The New Farm: Our Ten Years on the Front Lines of the Good Food Revolution published by Random House in 2016.
Dr. Jonathan Lundgren Putting the Diversity back into Organic Jonathan Lundgren is an insect ecologist from South Dakota. Jonathan’s talk will help farmers to better understand the role of insects in ecosystem functioning and how they can benefit the Whole Farm.
Jay Fuhrer What’s on your Landscape? Jay is a Conservationist with the USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service in Bismarck, North Dakota. He will cover foundation principles to restore and maintain life in the soil, including resource concerns such as erosion, salinity, plant and animal diversity, carbon and water quality.
Ian Cushon, Loic Dewavrin and Steven Snider Producer Panel: Managing Perennial Weeds
Long time organic producers from Saskatchewan, Quebec and Alberta will share what they have learned over the years about how to manage perennial weeds in an organic farming system.
Dr. Martin Entz and Ryan Boyd Integrating Crops and Livestock for Optimal Production
Martin is one of Canada’s leading researchers with an organic and natural systems focus. He runs Canada’s longest running organic-conventional cropping system trial. Ryan is a young farmer from Rapid City, Manitoba who is putting leading edge thinking on crop-livestock integration into action.
The conference and trade show will take place in the Keystone Centre in Brandon. Visit www.prairieorganics.org for the complete program and to register.
The conference hotel is Canad Inns Destination Centre, Brandon. Call 1 (888) 332-2623 or (204) 727-1422 and mention Prairie Organics to get a special conference rate ($135 + tax per night).
Conference and Trade Show Highlights
- Free pre-conference tours February 22nd (registration required)
- Free trade show February 23 and 24 featuring specialized organic farming equipment, organic certification bodies, organic input suppliers, organic grain buyers, leading edge agricultural innovations (registration not required)
- Free Ag Innovation Stage featuring the latest in sustainable energy, farming equipment and more(registration not required)
- Free pre-arranged Business-to-Business meetings (registration required)
- Networking events on the tradeshow floor from 4:30-6:30 pm and later in the evening from 8 to 10 pm at the Great Western Road House at Canad Inns on February 23rd (conference registration required)
- Get a discount on your conference pass if you register by December 15, 2017
Register on-line at www.prairieorganics.org
Two day early bird conference passes are $131.25 (includes GST, register by December 15, 2018)
Students with a valid student ID from a recognized Canadian College or University can participate for free.